Channels allow admins to turn on learning streams in the Rockstar Learning Platform to provide a constant flow of knowledge to platform users in order to competently perform their jobs and enhance their skill set. Channels also include “Contribute” button that enables channel members, in one click, to create and share learning content with others in the channel.
To turn on channels in your organization, navigate to the settings tab in your platform and then click on the general tab on the left hand side of the page. Choose the enterprise that you would like channels to appear for using the drop down at the top of the page. Next, scroll down the page until you see the "Channels" section. Turn the toggle button to "On" to enable channels.
Creating and Editing Channels
After you enable channels you will notice that a "Channels" tab appears in the Content tab of your admin. Adding a channel to your platform is similar to adding a course.
- Click the "Channels" tab in the Content tab of your platform
- Click the "Add new" button
- Click the "Edit" text on your untitled course to open up the course options.
- Fill in the title (this is a required field), description, media groups (this is a required field), tags, and publish settings. The media groups you select will determine which users can contribute to this channel. If a user is assigned to any of the media groups you assign to this channel, they will be able to add content and contribute to this channel.
- Click the "Publish Channel" button. Unlike regular courses, you will not have to click the red "Publish" button at the top of the page to publish the channel. Once you hit the "Publish Channel" button all of your changes will be saved and published.
*NOTE: After you publish your channel, the channel folders will automatically sort in alphabetical order. You will not be able to rearrange the channel folders.
- To delete a channel click on the "Open" text on your channel folder and the click on the "Edit" text. Scroll down to the bottom of the course options and click on the trash can icon. You will need to confirm that you would like to delete the channel.
- Once your channel is created you can add content to is as you normally would for a regular course. Just drag and drop content into your channel from your media library on the right hand side of the page.
* NOTE: If you add a piece of media to your channel that has a differing media group from the media groups assigned to your channel, users assigned to differing media group will be able to see that piece of media in the channel. However, they will not be able to add content and contribute to the channel.
Viewing Your Channel
Now that you have created your channel, you are ready to view it on the User Page of the platform. Navigate to the users page (if you are in the admin click on the drop down in the upper right and then select "Go to user page") and click on the "Channels" tab on the dashboard. Then click on the channel you would like to view.
*NOTE: Make sure that you are assigned to one of the media groups assigned to your channel, or one of the media groups assigned to the media in your channel or you will not be able to see it. You will also need to verify that your user is assigned to an enterprise that has channels enabled.
Contributing to a Channel
If your user is assigned to the media group that is assigned to the channel, then you will be able to create content for and contribute to the channel. This applies to all platform users, not just admins. Your platform users will be able to add their own content to this channel using our content builder.
To add content to the channel follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the channel page and click on the red "Contribute" button. This will bring up the content builder.
- Add a Title and Description to course course by clicking on and then typing in those fields.
- You can choose your theme by clicking on the drop down in the upper right hand corner
- Click the text, image, or video icon to add content to your session. You will be able to upload images and videos from your device, or you can take one using your camera. You can add as many text, video, or image sections to your content as you would like by clicking on the "+" icon between sections or clicking on the text, image, or video icons.
- If you would like to edit, delete, or move a section, hover over the section with you cursor and to bring up these options. Click and drag the move icon to rearrange the sections. Click the trashcan icon to delete a section. To edit a text section click the existing text with your cursor.
- When you are done creating your session, click on the "Publish" text in the upper right hand corner. This will publish your session and add it to the channel. You will be brought back to the channels page.
*Note: The session that you create will automatically be assign the media groups that the channel is assigned to.
- To edit or delete your session after it has been published, hover over the session on the channels page. You will see an edit and a delete icon appear.
*NOTE: Only the user that created the session will be able to edit or delete the session from the users page.
Managing Contributor Content as an Admin
When a user contributes to a channel by creating a session, the session will appear in your media library (right hand side of the content tab.) as well as in the channel folder (left hand side of the content tab).
As an admin you will be able to edit this session as you normally would. This includes changing media groups, editing the title, adding presenters and tags, deleting the session etc. However, you will not be able to edit the content of the session. Only the session creator can do that.
The contributor session will report and act like a link session in the platform. Meaning, once the session is clicked on, it will be marked as completed.