Channels allow admins to turn on learning streams in the Rockstar Learning Platform to provide a constant flow of knowledge to platform users in order to competently perform their jobs and enhance their skill set. Channels also include “Contribute” button that enables channel members, in one click, to create and share learning content with others in the channel.
To turn on channels in your organization, navigate to the settings tab in your platform and then click on the general tab on the left-hand side of the page. Choose the enterprise that you would like channels to appear for using the drop-down at the top of the page. Next, scroll down the page until you see the "Channels" section. Turn the toggle button to "On" to enable channels.
Creating and Editing Channels
After you enable channels you will notice that a "Channels" tab appears in the Content tab of your admin. Adding a channel to your platform is similar to adding a course.
- Click the "Channels" tab in the Content tab of your platform
- Click the "Add new" button
- Click the "Edit" text on your untitled course to open up the course options.
- Fill in the title (this is a required field), description, learner groups (this is a required field), tags, and publish settings. The learner groups you select will determine which users can contribute to this channel. If a user is assigned to any of the learner groups you assign to this channel, they will be able to add content and contribute to this channel.
- Click the "Publish Channel" button. Unlike regular courses, you will not have to click the red "Publish" button at the top of the page to publish the channel. Once you hit the "Publish Channel" button all of your changes will be saved and published.
*NOTE: After you publish your channel, the channel folders will automatically sort in alphabetical order. You will not be able to rearrange the channel folders.
- To delete a channel click on the "Open" text on your channel folder and then click on the "Edit" text. Scroll down to the bottom of the course options and click on the trash can icon. You will need to confirm that you would like to delete the channel.
- Once your channel is created you can add content to it as you normally would for a regular course. Just drag and drop content into your channel from your media library on the right-hand side of the page.
* NOTE: If you add a piece of media to your channel that has a different learner group from the learner groups assigned to your channel, users assigned to different learner groups will be able to see that piece of media in the channel. However, they will not be able to add content and contribute to the channel.
Viewing Your Channel
Now that you have created your channel, you are ready to view it on the User Page of the platform. Navigate to the User page (if you are in the admin click on the drop-down in the upper right and then select "Go to user page") and click on the "Channels" tab on the dashboard. Then click on the channel you would like to view.
*NOTE: Make sure that you are assigned to one of the learner groups assigned to your channel, or one of the learner groups assigned to the media in your channel or you will not be able to see it. You will also need to verify that your user is assigned to an enterprise that has channels enabled.
Contributing to a Channel
If your user is assigned to the learner group that is assigned to the channel, then you will be able to create content for and contribute to the channel. This applies to all platform users, not just admins. Your platform users will be able to add their own content to this channel using our microlearning module builder.
To add content to the channel follow the steps below.
Navigate to the channel page and click on the red "Contribute" button. This will bring up the microlearning module builder.
Add a Title and Description to the course by clicking on and then typing in those fields.
Theme Drop Down:
You can choose your theme by clicking on the drop-down in the upper right-hand corner. This will change the color and font of your module.
Click the text, image, video, CenarioVR, or Game icons to add content to your module.
- Text: You can use this to add text to your microlearning module. Users can translate text modules by clicking on the language icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Image: Add images to your microlearning module by uploading them from your device.
- Video: Choosing the video icon will allow you to upload a video from your device, record a video, add a YouTube video, or record a screen capture. When users view the video, they will be able to translate it into Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. Users can also turn on closed captioning.
- CVR: Choosing the CenarioVR option will allow you to add a virtual reality module to your module. If you are interested in learning more about CenerioVR, please contact your account executive.
- Game: Add interactive games to your microlearning module from The Training Arcade™. You can choose published games directly from your Training Arcade™ library. Games include Jeopardy, scenarios, and much more! To learn more about games, contact your account executive.
You can add as many text, video, image, CenarioVR, or game modules to your content as you would like by clicking on the "+" icon between sections or clicking on the text, image, or video icons.
If you would like to edit, delete, or move a section, hover over the section with you cursor and to bring up these options. Click and drag the move icon to rearrange the sections. Click the trashcan icon to delete a section. To edit a text section click the existing text with your cursor.
When you are done creating your module, click on the "Publish" text in the upper right hand corner. This will publish your module and add it to the channel. You will be brought back to the channels page.
*Note: The module that you create will automatically be assign the learner groups that the channel is assigned to.
To edit or delete your module after it has been published, hover over the module on the channels page. You will see an edit and a delete icon appear. You will also see an auto-generated thumbnail image generated using a screen capture of your module.
*NOTE: Only the user that created the module will be able to edit or delete the module from the users page.
When viewing contributor content users will have the ability to view closed captioning and listen to audio in different languages by clicking the settings icon in the video player. Users can also translate text modules by clicking on the language icon in the upper right-hand corner.
Managing Contributor Content as an Admin
When a user contributes to a channel by creating a module, the module will appear in the contributions tab (right hand side of the content tab.) as well as in the channel folder (left hand side of the content tab).
As an admin you will be able to edit this module as you normally would. This includes changing learner groups, editing the title, adding presenters and tags, deleting the module etc. However, you will not be able to edit the content of the module. Only the module creator can do that.
The contributor module will report and act like a link module in the platform. Meaning, once the module is clicked on, it will be marked as completed.